Saturday, March 5, 2011

A Brief History: Part One

Hilary and I always say that we've made our relationship "our way." There is no mention of "falling in love;" instead, we talk of how we have created something. It wasn't easy.
The first time I met Hilary, I was forming a circle with desks. It was just before a Creative Writing class, and Hil was the new girl, having just added the class at the drop line. I believe we were the only two in the room, so we struck up a conversation. What I remember from that chat is just a few details:
  • From the East Coast: Connecticut
  • Return Missionary: Portugal Lisboa
  • English Teaching Major
  • Young Adult Literature Fanatic
On the middle two points, we connected (honey, do you see the wordplay here?). I served in Mozambique, so I speak Portuguese. I was also an English Teaching Major, or at least had the intention of entering the major. I was preparing my application. I thought her a cool girl. That was it. I did not expect anything other than friendship.
I should go on a tangent here, and explain the crisis that was my love life. There was none. I tried to date, but I just couldn't connect with girls on dates. I was feeling the years and felt inadequate. Here I was, in the most concentrated selection of available Mormon women, and I couldn't find a girlfriend. "That's it," I thought, "I'm over it. I'm tired of trying. I'll just date for fun."
So when Hilary and I walked for a little bit after class and talked about Portuguese food, I thought it was nice. And when she emailed me to ask if I wanted to watch The Birds with her and her friends, I didn't think much about it. I just went with it, and I had a great time. Did I mention I'm bad at picking up vibes? I certainly made it difficult for the poor girl. But when she texted me the next week, informing me of an Angolan movie showing at the International Cinema, I finally picked up what she was putting down. I responded we should make a date out of it.

3 comments:

  1. Haha, after you asked me out to see Hollow City (NOT a romantic date movie, by the way, but then hindsight is always 20/20), you said, "I believe we have what some people would call a date."

    So cheesy. So Michael. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is precious. i love you guys together already! its so natural when you find your true love huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys I am loving this blog!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete