Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Dangerous QuickPump

Today I went to Walmart (ahemNecessaryButEvilEmpireahem) to purchase an air pump for our new air mattress, which will take its maiden voyage on our camping stint this weekend. I bought a sturdy-looking rechargeable Coleman QuickPump. And it works fine, don't get me wrong.

However, I was a little alarmed by the following tag attached to the power cord:

WARNING: The power cord on this product contains lead, a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling.


I don't know what's more alarming, that my air pump power cord will give me cancer and deform my unborn children, or that this cord looks exactly a dozen other power cords lying around the house. Or that only the State of California knows that lead causes cancer?

The whole thing is quite confounding.

No comments:

Post a Comment