Thursday, February 9, 2012

Dear Baby: February 9, 2012

Dear Baby,

Twelve weeks! We've almost cleared the first trimester! It's been a little hairy. Well, for me, anyway. Hopefully you're busily, blissfully building organs and such, without a care in the world.

I hope the second trimester will be as easy as everyone says it is.

Two days ago, I finally called the doctor to ask for a different medicine. Not that the suppository wasn't working; it was, just not all the time. I was back to throwing up about once a day and feeling weak. Plus, you know, suppository. Enough said. So the lovely nurses at the OB's office made the necessary calls to get me ondansetron, a fast-dissolving wonderpill that tastes like strawberries and instantly erases my nausea. (My OB put me on the suppository first because ondansetron is expensive, and insurance companies often balk at the price tag and reject the request. That happened to us, too, but the nurses worked their magic, and now I have this miracle medicine! Hooray!)

So although your mom's a little constipated (thanks to the wonderpill), she's generally doing well and feeling much happier about being pregnant.

Your dad even remarked a few hours after my first dose of ondasetron, "Pre-pregnancy Hilary's back again!" I'm afraid I've been something of a nightmare to live with. Your poor dad. It's been a lonely 12 weeks living with a pukey, cranky wife.

I attended a friend's baby shower this week, and can I just say, F-U-N. Maybe it was the ondansetron talking, or maybe my motherly instincts were kicking in, but with every mention of butt cream and onesies I found myself tearing up a bit. I'm excited for you to come, little baby. I'm excited for the tiny socks and the baby lotion and the pacifiers. But mostly, I'm excited for you.

Love,

Your mom

2 comments:

  1. I felt the exact same way my first 15 weeks! It's hard! So glad you are getting over the hump now though! Second tri is SOOOOOOOOOOO much better. I know how much it sucks to be sick ALL the time but you've got this :) And whoever said saltines and those seabands help morning sickness were messed up, it's all about the drugs :)

    ReplyDelete