Saturday, March 3, 2012

Dear Baby: March 3, 2012

Dear Baby,

Yesterday, your dad and I were being lazy and hanging out in bed when he put his hand on my belly and smiled. I put my hand on my stomach, too, and I could feel the hard bump, and wondered when I'd first feel you "flutter."

Later, in the evening, we went to Barnes & Noble with a gift card your grandma Watkins gave us and picked out some more titles for our growing children's book collection. We left with five:

Fox in Socks, by Dr. Seuss
Where's Spot?, by Eric Hill
The Very Hungry Caterpillar, by Eric Carle
There's a Nightmare in My Closet, by Mercer Mayer
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, by Mo Willems

I'm a book hoarder by nature, so I've had a lot of books for kids in my stash for years now. It was different, though, shopping for books for you. Imagining if I really wanted to read this or that book to you, with you. Consulting with your dad about concerns that are new to me. Would little hands be able to wield that big book of fairy tales? Which Spot book should we get, and should we get the board book version to withstand baby drool? Do we really endorse the message of the Little Engine? (You'll have to get your dad's opinion on that topic.)

We love you. We talk about you constantly. We hope you're nerdy like us so we can share our loves with you. Mostly, we hope you're healthy and eager to experience this life. We're honored to be a part of it.

Love,

Your mom

4 comments:

  1. this is so beautiful, and I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE dont let the pigeon drive the bus. so does every toddler- good choice. Also great for "babies" are the sandra boynton books. Cameron used to crack up and crack up every time I read them to him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Sandra Boynton books are pretty good, I'm a fan of them. Especially if you turn them into songs (especially The Barnyard Dance). Also, I love Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, and all of the other Pigeon books. Mo Willems is a genius.

    My question, is did you decide to get the board book version, or the regular one?

    ReplyDelete