Thursday, September 6, 2012

What my 16-year-old self couldn't have known.

When I was in high school, I found some baby flannel in a bin in our basement. The squares were already cut, just asking to be sewn together into something snuggly. I decided to make a baby blanket.

I worked on this blanket for almost two years. After I sewed it up, layered it, tied it, and bound it, I decided to hand quilt it. Definitely not the recommended order to do these things. But that's how I did it.

Interestingly, during the time I worked on the blanket, my priorities changed. I went through a phase. I had always been a good kid. Like, a really good kid. I got along well with my parents, and adults in general. Polite, motivated, agreeable. Then I changed. There were a lot of catalysts for this change, which can pass unmentioned because they're irrelevant at the moment. Suffice it to say that by the time I started the hand stitching, I really didn't see myself ever having a life that included marriage or children, the temple or any sort of eternal perspective. That life, a life of restriction and small-mindedness as I then thought, did not appeal to me.

I'm glad I got turned around. To my parents' everlasting credit. Look what I wouldn't have now if my 16-year-old self had won out?

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got 'straightened out' too because he's a cutie. Can't wait to meet him! We currently have the plague, which Charlie doesn't need, but when we're better you need to come over and introduce him to us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness he is adorable!!!! I just want to squeeze him. Congrats on the baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful post. Beautiful thoughts, beautiful quilt, beautiful photos. Especially that first pic of Charlie. It's an amazing photo Hil!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, when are you coming out to TX again?

      Delete
  5. Beautiful post. Beautiful quilt. AND beautiful baby! So glad your 16YO self did not win out. (And thank you for calling my attention to the possible plagiarism. I write under a couple of pen names for various magazines, and it turns out that was one of them. But had it been a case of plagiarism, I sure would've wanted to know. So thank you!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so sweet and awesome! tear. :)

    ReplyDelete